There are many tangible benefits of becoming a member of your local NWPOA residents’ association.
Let’s examine the NWPOA “value proposition” in detail!
1. Better Security for your property and family because of the Newport Watch system through:
- NWPOA volunteer Zone Captains doing a really worthwhile job maintaining contact with residents of Newport about issues of concern, bringing these to the notice of the NWPOA committee for action and delivering the Newport News.
- Neighbours assisting each other to minimize crime in the Newport area to make it a safer place to live.
- Improving personal safety as well as household and boat security - suspicious activity within your area being reported.
- Newport Watch stickers identifying member properties as a further deterrent.
2. Providing a Credible, Consistent Voice for your community with relevant Government agencies through:
- Contact with MBRC, MSQ, DERM/ EPA/ QPWS, Boating & Fisheries & Police, etc when residents’ needs are identified.
- Meeting three times a year with MBRC through the NWAG process. Items discussed previously include the canal levy, general rates, spoil pond, vessels anchored in canals without authorisation, etc. (BTW, this is the only committee to meet regularly with Council since the amalgamation.)
- NWAG meeting with MBRC to deliver the best possible outcomes for residents in the sand canal transformation process, maintenance and dredging of the entire Newport Canal system and the development of revetment-to-revetment maintenance processes by MBRC.
3. Informing NWPOA members of:
- Local business services through the NWPOA Business Directory both on our website as well as a hard copy issued to members twice a year. We encourage residents to support our local businesses. (Members who wish to advertise their business can do so at very reasonable rates. Please contact the Secretary for more details.)
- the requirements to have a pontoon built, or decks, ramps, revetment walls constructed on their properties.
- Current news items of specific interest to Newport residents including sand canal transformation, maintenance planning, dredging schedules, entrance leads matters and more.
4. Providing news and information on Newport issues and events through a range of media to meet every resident’s needs including:
- Our brand new web site at: www.newportwaters.com (You’re looking at it now!)
- Our bi-monthly Newport News newsletter containing updates and items of interest and concern to members which is distributed to all members and also available of our website.
- Emailing the NWPOA secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
5. The opportunity to meet with neighbours and (new) friends via NWPOA social activities including:
- Social events which allow members to enjoy convivial company and an opportunity to make new friends. (This function for the last few years has provided donations of more than $5500 to Volunteer Coast Guard, Breast Cancer Dragon Boat group & Neighbourhood Watch).
- The much-loved Christmas Pipers and Santa Claus delivering lollies from the canals on Christmas morning to all Newport residents. The kids love it... and so do the adults!
All residents in Newport benefit from many of the above functions of the Association and we'd like to think that those of you who have not yet joined might consider joining and supporting the committee in its endeavours to enhance the Newport lifestyle for its residents.